Golden Split Pea Soup.
You can have Golden Split Pea Soup using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Golden Split Pea Soup
- You need 2 1/2 cups of split peas.
- Prepare of Water to cover peas after rinsing.
- It’s 1/2 lb of Bacon (about 6 slices).
- Prepare 4 of carrots sliced.
- You need 1/2 of white onion diced.
- You need 3 of large ribs celery sliced.
- Prepare 1 of large ham shank or multiple smaller ones which I used here.
- Prepare of Fresh ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves sliced.
- It’s 2 cups of chicken broth.
Golden Split Pea Soup instructions
- Chop and fry bacon until crispy, pour off most bacon fat.
- Deglaze pan using chicken stock.
- Add all chopped veggies herbs and pepper, cook until aromatic.
- Add peas, water and chicken broth, stir..
- Add ham shank and bring everything to a boil and skim off the foam.
- Cover and cook on low at least 3-4 hours until meat falls off the bone removing bones and skin from shank out of soup and the peas are tender. Do not add additional salt during cooking, the bacon and ham shanks with the broth have plenty, just season with black pepper to taste..
- You can adjust thickness of soup by adding water during the cooking process and adjust seasonings to taste, if you want to add more salt I would add it to your bowl instead of the pot, so it's not too salty..