Shepherd's Pie. .with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton.
That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, that creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust.… While Shepherd's Pie is. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 1 tbsp of reduced calorie margarine.
- You need 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 tsp of reduced sodium soy sauce.
- It’s 2 cup of cubed, cooked chicken breast.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, sliced and blanched.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped, cleaned spinach leaves.
- You need 6 of chopped scallions.
- You need 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn kernels.
- It’s 1/2 cup of evaporated skimmed milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves, crumbled.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground marjoram.
- It’s 3 of medium russet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed.
- It’s 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese.
- You need 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- You need 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Find the best recipes for the classic shepherd's pie. Learn how to make it with ground beef, turkey, chicken, and lamb recipes.
Shepherd's Pie instructions
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, melt the margarine. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth, soy sauce and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the remaining tablespoon of flour. Stir in the carrots, spinach, scallions, corn, milk, thyme, marjoram and the sauce. Transfer to the casserole dish. Top with potatoes, spreading to cover the filling completely; sprinkle with the cheese and paprika. Bake until bubbling and the potatoes are golden, 30-35 minutes..
Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Plunge your spoon into a shepherd's pie with creamy mash and flavourful lamb mince. We've got some lovely twists on shepherd's pie on the site, but we were missing a definitive version of this. We seem to eat for comfort during the holidays.but comfort foods aren't necessarily healthy. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef.