Turkey Shepherd's Pie. Reviews for: Photos of Turkey Shepherd's Pie. When the weather outside is frightful, nothing satisfies our craving for comfort food quite like a good shepherd's pie. And this shepherd's pie is the food equivalent of creams and grays and cable knit blankets – catch my drift?
Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one. This turkey shepherd's pie is a comforting, healthy and nourishing dish! You can cook Turkey Shepherd's Pie using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- You need 1 of no specific quantities. whatever you have left that will fit in your cooking dish.
- It’s 1 of Turkey meat both white and dark.
- It’s 1 of Peas, carrots and any other leftover vegetables. This one has parsnips and carrots mashed together.
- It’s 1 of Stuffing.
- You need 1 of Mashed Potatoes.
- You need 1 of Gravy.
Turkey is a more unconventional meat to use for shepherd's pie, but just as delicious! Not only is Turkey Shepherd's Pie an excellent use for sometimes boring ground turkey, but it is also a great way to use up leftover potatoes. If ground turkey is not your style, substitute with ground beef. Shepherd's pie is often made with lamb or mutton, but it lends itself well to leftover turkey and mashed potatoes from the Thanksgiving table.
Turkey Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Cut up meat into small pieces. I don't shred it but as small as I can..
- Mix into a bowl, or straight into your cooking dish, with your vegetables..
- Hopefully you have some leftover gravy…if not just make more :-). Add some to the meat and vegetable mix…just enough to make it moist..
- If you were doing this all in a separate bowl, now place the meat, vegetables, gravy mixture to your cooking dish and flatten. Place stuffing over the top and flatten. Ladel a little bit of gravy over stuffing again just to moisten..
- Add mashed potatoes to the top and distribute evenly. Much easier to do this if the potatoes are warm. Take a fork and run it flatly over the potatoes so you get small little peaks all over.
- In the oven she goes. 350 – 375 ℉ for about 35 – 40 min. You'll start seeing the peaks get brown. Then broil for 3 min (watch it doesn't burn).
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then serve with gravy to your liking. Every bite is heaven!.
You could also mix in leftover vegetables from the previous. What I love about this Turkey Shepherd's Pie is that it really doesn't require anything more than dumping what you already have into a casserole dish and baking it. Shepherd's pie filled with ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping. Turkey Shepherd's Pie is the ultimate comfort food. This Turkey Shepherd's Pie is one of the first meals I made after our power was restored last week following Hurricane Sandy.